Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hello, everyone out there in InternetLand. Not too much news to report, other than the fact that Richard Justice is a moron. Way to call all of your "readers" idiots, Dick. Real classy. Apparently he was fed up of his "readers" complaining about Ausmus and Everett being useless. Justice wrote that if fans don't appreciate the value of those two players, then the fans are stupid. First off, as a fellow Internet writer, I really don't like it when bloggers get all uppity and start to talk down to their readers. But calling them idiots? That's a new low, Dick.

But enough ranting. Yes, Everett and Ausmus are valuable. Defensivel, they are second-to-none. They save tens of runs for our pitching staff, and they are great team leaders on defense. On offense, the two combine for one of the weakest combinations this side of the Washington Nationals. So their value is almost entirely one-sided. It's like an ultimate player who can can out-run and out-jump everyone he plays against. He gets layout Ds at will and completely shuts down anyone he's guarding. Tiny problem: he can't throw or catch.

Let's see here, what else is going on? Apparently Qualls is feeling a little shoulder stiffness, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Garner told reporters in Kissimmee what his Opening Day lineup will be. It's the same one he announced at Astros Fan Fest: Biggio, Burke, Berkman, Lee, Ensberg, Scott/Lane/Hidalgo, Everett, Ausmus, Oswalt. Can't be too happy about Bidge leading off, but if it gets him to 3,000 hits any faster

Oh, I saw the Fightin' Texas Aggies take down UT-Arlington tonight. It was my first game at Olsen field in College Station, and it was definitely one of the most interesting games I've ever been to. Crazy Aggies, with their crazy cheers and whoops and making fun of the pitchers and coaches. Good think they didn't see me talking on my phone — I woulda gotten heckled. I'm discovering how much I like college baseball. These kids are good: the defense is generally sound, the pitching is relatively controlled and the kids can crush!

Bought Explosions in the Sky's new album, called "All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone." My first impression is that it can't touch 2003's "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place," but I'll give it a few more spins. It's not as clean as "The Earth", but "All of a Sudden" adds some more experimentation, and the piano is new. My favorite track so far is "Catatrophe and the Cure."

No comments: