Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Win #334 for Clemens tonight, backed by a 3-run Ensberg HR (who now has 17!) and some assorted hits and errors by the Rockies. Always nice to get a sweep.

Have I mentioned how amazing www.baseball-reference.com is? I just finished reading "The Numbers Game" by Alan Schwarz, which goes into great detail about how difficult it has been to determine exact statistics for the early years of baseball, and how record-keeping didn't really become an exact science until recently (imagine playing fantasy baseball without constant stat updates. The creator of fantasy, or rotisserie, baseball, Daniel Okrent is featured in the book, and he has one thing to say to fantasy baseball fans: Shut up.) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is it has been a hell of a job collecting all the baseball statistics since the the turn of the century (and before), but www.baseball-reference.com has them all in easy to understand pages. It's still the best way to kill time that I know of. It's pretty fun to just jump from one link to another: Barry Bonds - most similar hitter: Ted Williams - teammate: Johnny Pesky - etc., etc. Really, check it out.

I'll be driving from Chicago to Flagstaff later this week. I don't think I'll make it to Omaha for the College World Series - we have to stop off in Calgary instead. Damn. I will, however, make it out to Vegas for the World Series of Poker. One of my brother's friends (who is close to selling his website, pokertips.org, for a boatload of money) is playing in the main event, and he's offered to let us stay in his hotel room. Count me in.

No comments: