Monday, January 23, 2006

More Bagwell news: It looks like the Astros are going to try and collect on their 15.6 million dollar insurance policy on Jeff Bagwell. This could get messy - apparently if Bagwell tries to play at all in spring training, we might not be able to collect. And Jeff has said he wants the opportunity to play. I think this could get pretty ugly, which would be a shame. Unfortunately, I believe the Astros are doing the right thing here - I haven't heard anything about Bagwell being able to throw any better, so I don't see how he can field his position. It's a sad state of affairs, but I hope Jeff realizes his time might be up.

In other baseball news, the Indians reportedly will trade Coco Crisp to the Red Sox are Andy Marte and Guillermo Mota (note: there might be more players involved.) Then they'll turn around and trade Arthur Rhodes to the Phillies for Jason Michaels. I understand these trades for all teams involved, but I love them for the Indians. Crisp is a solid player; only 25, put up an .810 OPS last year, solid defensively - but he's replaceable, and Marte is a top 5 prospect, Mota is a solid set-up guy, and Jason Michaels has a career .380 OBP, and should be an upgrade on Crisp. Boston was pretty desperate for a CF, so they need a guy like Crisp. I've heard they'll also sign Alex Gonzalez to play SS, which I don't like. They should just go with a Cora / Pedroia platoon. I'm kinda surprised the Phillies couldn't get more than Rhodes for Jason Michaels. I wonder if the Red Sox would have just considered trading with the Phillies (Mota for Michaels?) - then they keep Marte.

Good job, Indians. Check out this list of young, cheap, good players: Hafner, Martinez, Peralta, Sizemore, Marte, Cliff Lee, Sabathia, and some good bullpen arms. Now that's a young team to build around.

No comments: