Thursday, April 27, 2006

I think you meant that Adam Everett is leading all NL shortstops with 13 RBI, Andy. 'Cause I think Mr. Lance Berkman has about 23 RBI!

I passed my oral exams on Monday, essentially guaranteeing that I'll graduate with a master's degree in Statistics in two weeks. I'd like to say they were a long, grueling ordeal, but they weren't too bad - actually kind of fun. Ok, not fun, but I guess I was well-prepared because they went pretty smoothly. I celebrated by watching the first few innings of the Pettitte - Lowe game (which Lidge ended up blowing in the 9th), and then getting pretty drunk at a friend's house.

Hey, how about Wandy Rodriguez? The kid looked good again last night; even the Dodger announcers were impressed, commenting that he has an easy delivery, throws strikes, and seems confident out there. That's all music to my ears. However, some of Wandy's confidence is probably due to the fact that our offense goes crazy whenever he starts. Yesterday was no exception - Lance Berkman absolutely CRUSHED a 2-run bomb off Odalis Perez (batting righty!), Chris Burke went 3-for-4 with 2 RBI (and I'm glad to see Burke replacing Everett at SS and not Bruntlett. Brunt's main positive is his ability to fill in capably at any defensive position during the game...plus C-Burke is batting .440!), and the rest of the offense, with the exception of poor Preston Wilson (who is 1 for his last 29), rocked.

Still, however he's doing it, Wandy is DOING IT. He's 4-0 with a 2.53 ERA and a reasonable 9/21 walk-to-strikeout ratio. I still don't think he can keep it up, but I'll admit he's looked good, and maybe a sub-4.50 ERA is a possibility.

The parents get into Flagstaff sometime tomorrow - it's the first stage of their move out here. It's good timing on their part - the weather is just starting to get nice around here.

The 'Stros get a day off, and then we start a big series with the 15-7 Cincinnati Reds, who are tearing the cover off the ball. Too bad they're going to see Oswalt, Pettitte, and Bucholz! Berkman always crushes the Reds, so look for Lance to keep rocking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

15-1 now