Friday, March 11, 2005

Roy Oswalt was named our Opening Day Starter today. I hate to say this but it's probably the best news I've heard this winter. Oswalt should get the nod; although Clemens was arguably the better pitcher last year, he's also 42, so I like Oswalt more. What I can't say I completely agree with is having Pettitte pitch 2nd in the rotation. Yeah, yeah, you have to go righty-lefty-righy, but Pettitte is still recovering, and I don't know if he'll be 100%. If he is, fine, but I wouldn't mind seeing Oswalt - Clemens - Backe - Pettitte. Maybe I'm wrong, and hopefully Pettitte will be fine, but he is coming off a pretty serious injury.

WHERE THE HECK IS MY BASEBALL PROSPECTUS 2005???

We lost to the Cards 4-2 in our last ST game; Backe pitched well to start but then walked 3 batters in a row to give up a few runs. Then, in the most encouraging news this spring, Ezequiel Astacio came in a pitched 3 scoreless innings. I'm not sure if I want him thrown into starting right away, but if he keeps pitching like this, it'll be hard to stop him.

No comments: