Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Rumors are still circulating that we're looking to acquire a "true centerfielder" before the season starts. The Tigers released Alex Sanchez today, but I feel dirty even mentioning his name. He has 68 walks in 1351 career ABs. But his .364 SLG is somehow better than Palmeiro's.

I say we take another look at Marlon Byrd. I forgot all about him until I read today that he's hitting 10-for-24 for the Spring. He's 27, and hit a decent .303/.366/.418 in 2003. He has the potential to be a contributor but right now is blocked by old man Lofton. And the Phillies suffered through his horrendous 2004 campaign, so probably won't want much for him.

I'm not sure how Lane is progressing as a centerfielder, but my instincts tell me not good. He's built to be a corner outfielder. If we do acquire a Marlon Byrd or a Randy Winn or a Mike Cameron, we'd be crowding our starters. But we'd be assured of a decent lineup until Berkman returns:

Biggio LF
Burke 2B
Bagwell 1B
Lane RF
Ensberg 3B
Byrd CF
Everett SS
Ausmus C

When Berkman comes back, we'll have to cut the playing time of either Byrd or Burke. Or hell, maybe even Biggio.

I was relieved to see that Pettitte was scratched from his start because of a mild ankle sprain he suffered when he fell down some steps. Thank God it wasn't his elbow. It's a bad time of year to be a Cubs fan. Prior and Wood are both nursing mild injuries. Not a good sign for them.

No comments: