Thursday, March 09, 2006

1. Write every day.
2. Write what you know.
- Charles Bukowski

Astros 3, Mets 2 - Zeke Astacio gets the win, with 3 scoreless innings in relief, O-Palm hits a HR, and Roy O gave up 2 runs in 4 innings, Chris Burke played some more SS, Jeff Bagwell got 3 AB's as a DH. That's about it.

Jeff Bagwell update:

Bagwell was quick to say that the shoulder doesn't affect his hitting. His bat is fine, no different than it's been in past Spring Trainings.
"I'm not very good in Spring Training," he said. "But as long as I'm seeing the ball and picking the spin up and things like that, then that's great.
"As I've said all along, the key here is can I throw and hit. Only time will tell that."


Wow, nice answer, Jeff. So no matter how badly you do in spring training, it's only because you're not very good yet, huh? It couldn't possibly be the shoulder. Way to leave youself an easy excuse.

I just received "The Last Nine Innings" in the mail yesterday, and I've been reading it every chance I get. Expect a review soon. I like the writing style a lot - it covers Game 7 of the 2001 Yankees - DBacks World Series, but manages to talk about almost every current baseball topic while doing so.

I don't know what to say about Barry Bonds. Do I think he used steroids? Yep. Do I think many other major leaguers, including Jeff Bagwell, also did? You bet. Asking him to retire is ridiculous. Just because he's a cocky asshole doesn't mean he should be singled out for doing what many others were doing at the same time.

Man, I love Rotoworld - tons of player notes and prospect lists. A sample:

Adam Everett was scratched from today's starting lineup with what the Astros are calling a sprained lower back.He's off to Houston for an examination, making it unlikely that he'll be back in the lineup on Friday. It might not be a bad thing for Everett to a miss a week or so, giving the Astros more of an opportunity to evaluate Chris Burke at shortstop.

More soon.

No comments: