Wednesday, March 29, 2006

You wouldn't know it by looking out the windows of the office I share with 6 other Math Graduate Teaching Assistants, but it's baseball time. In the past few days I've purchased MLB.TV for the season (only $99.95 for every out-of-market game - I can't afford not to!) and bought Baseball Prospectus 2006. So far I've just been flipping through it, looking at my favorite players and at the Astros team pages. Here are a few of their more interesting Astros observations:

Crap! I left the book at home. Guess my next post will be all about BP'06. Sorry about that. Anyway, the book seems solid so far, but there have been a surprising number of typos, as if it was rushed out a little quickly.

I have my first fantasy baseball draft today. It's with a bunch of guys that my brother knew in college, and they're a bunch of ultimate frisbee bums, so I should win the league easily. I'll let you know how it goes.

The Indians are going to dominate for a long time. They've signed Johnny Peralta, Victor Martinez, and Grady Sizemore (they signed Sizemore today) to 5+ year deals, they control Travis Hafner and C.C. Sabathia throug 2008, they're going to sign Cliff Lee to a long-term deal, Andy Marte doesn't reach arbitration for a while....quite simply, they're awesome. I'm jealous.

The Astros had their initial insurance claim on Jeff Bagwell rejected. According to most of what I've read, this will end up going to court, so we'll have to wait and see.

No comments: